The research group of Communication Science esp. Computational Communication Science is investigating the use of digital media and its consequences for individuals and society. The group has an increased interdisciplinary focus and employs mainly quantitative research methods from communication and computer sciences (i.e. manual and automated content analysis).
The potential candidate is expected to pursue his or her scientific qualification (PhD) related to one of the group’s topics. There is ample space for developing and implementing one’s own ideas, as long as these match with the group’s broader topic.
- participation in the group’s research and publication activities
- attendance of national and international conferences
- supporting the group in administration and project management tasks
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences (i.e. Communication Science, Psychology, or a closely related discipline) or Computer Science (or a closely related discipline)
- Advanced research skills and excellent knowledge of quantitative data analysis (in SPSS, R or similar applications)
- Programming skills in R, Python or another programming language are beneficial, however nor required
- Good knowledge of computational social science methods or a strong interest and the willingness to get acquainted with the topic
- Interest in media production
- Fluency in German and English, written and spoken
- An interest in interdisciplinary work, communication skills and the ability to work in a team
The university stands in the fields of technology, mathematics and natural sciences, business and media for teaching and research at the highest level. She attaches particular importance to innovative teaching and interdisciplinarity. She identifies with Humboldt's ideals and pursues the vision of a cosmopolitan campus family.
Technische Universität Ilmenau is holder of the „TOTAL E-Quality“ distinction and emphasizes gender equality.
Severely disabled applicants with essentially identical professional suitability will be preferentially selected.
Technische Universität Ilmenau offers flexible working time models.