The department is one of the leading groups in the analysis of semiconductor interfaces and the develop-ment of a low-defect integration of high-performance III-V compound semiconductors with low-cost Si substrates for highly efficient solar energy and solar-to-hydrogen conversion. The position is part of a project in which III-V heterostructures are prepared by metalorganic vapor deposition and characterized in terms of their atomic and electronic III-V/III-V as well as water/III-V interface structure for efficient direct solar-driven water photo-electrolysis. To this end, we offer a unique infrastructure that includes epitaxy, in-situ spectroscopy, and in-vacuo analytics (such as STM, FTIR, LEED, and UPS/XPS) located in a high-end cleanroom. We offer international group and a teamwork environment. The department is a member of the cross-faculty Institute of Micro- and Nanotechnologies offering further sophisticated analytics equipment and expertise. The funding will support participation at national and international conferences and gives opportunity to build well-established bridges between research groups in Darmstadt and Berlin. Active participation of the Ph.D. student in teaching is desired.
Besides its excellent campus, Ilmenau is a small, vivid, and affordable student city. Located virtually in the center of Germany with a direct connection to Erfurt. It is surrounded by the beautiful nature of the “Thüringer Wald” being famous for outdoor activities.
Independent and team-oriented development of basic and application-oriented research, within one or more of the following research areas:
- Physics and chemistry of solid-solid and liquid-solid interfaces
- Preparation and epitaxial growth of semiconductor films
- Interface analysis in ultra-high vacuum with XPS, UPS, FTIR, LEED, STM, ...
- Ex-situ analysis of III-V semiconductors such as SEM, AFM, HR-XRD….
- Optical in-situ spectroscopy
The applicant should:
- hold a suitable scientific degree (Diploma of an university or master degree) in a natural science programme with documented above-average performance
- have very good knowledge in semiconductor physics, chemistry, epitaxy, optical spectroscopy or interfacial analysis, and
- show strong interest, commitment, good teamwork and experimental skills
- Willingness to learn and focus on an autonomous, solution-driven, and service-oriented way of working
- Excellent knowledge of Office 2016, Dropbox, MATLAB, and other similar software
- Excellent English and German skills both written and spoken
The university stands in the fields of technology, mathematics and natural sciences, business and media for teaching and research at the highest level. She attaches particular importance to innovative teaching and interdisciplinarity. She identifies with Humboldt's ideals and pursues the vision of a cosmopolitan campus family.
Technische Universität Ilmenau is holder of the „TOTAL E-Quality“ distinction and emphasizes gender equality.
Severely disabled applicants with essentially identical professional suitability will be preferentially selected.
Technische Universität Ilmenau offers flexible working time models.