The Mechatronics Group (Web: https://www.tu-ilmenau.de/mechatronik/) has research activities in continuum robotics, medical robotics and precision mechatronics. Continuum robots with their slender and flexible manipulators show a high potential for future surgical applications, both in minimally invasive and open access. In a new research project an AI design assistant shall be researched and developed to exemplary design a neurosurgical robot, its instruments and motion plan by applying latest methods of Artifical Intelligence (AI). In a later project stage the potential for mapping the outcomes to other surgical interventions like lung, ophthalmologic, prostate interventions are considered too. PhD-Candidates have the opportunity to work in a highly innovative group and at the forefront of continuum medical robot research.
The Mechatronics Group possess prototype continuum robots and experimental test beds with measurement instrumentation (e.g. photogrammetric stereotactic camera systems). The project will be worked out as a collaborative project with mathematicians and under medical consulting by scientists from a Neurosurgery Clinic in Germany.
- Planning, assembly and conductance of experimental investigations with prototypically designed continuum robots based on “Design-of-Experiments”-approaches, conductance of mechanical design reconstructions under supervision of experienced group members
- Physical and data-based modelling of continuum robots manipulators, model-integration in AI-design assistance software, comparison with and adaptation to experimental results
- Introduction to and application of advanced Methods of AI like Neural Networks, Support Vector Machines, Genetic Algorithms, Unsupervised Learning and Multiobjective Optimiziation on continuum robotics design. Intensive consultation and collaboration by the project partners is guaranteed
- Co-working as teaching assistant and research assistant for generating funding proposals is mandatory
- Publication and presentation of research results at international conferences and journals is a duty
For being part of the selection process is needed:
- Completed scientific education (Master or University diploma) in either Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science with focus in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics with a major in engineering or other equivalent studies with superior scores
- University of Applied Sciences diploma in the same subjects as above with excellent scores, preferred with an 2 or 3 year industry professional training
- Interests in experiments and mathematical methods
- Basic knowledge in programing (Python, C), applicants with knowledge in electrical drives and microcontroller programing are preferred
- Self-relient working style and team spirit
- If equivalent applicants are available, those with good knowledges in German language (C or B-level) are preferred.
Please provide evidence of the qualifications required for the job by certificates and references.
What we offer you:
From individual advancement with a wide range of continuing education opportunities to a variety of health and recreational offerings, you can expect an appreciative working environment at a renowned university at TU-Ilmenau. In addition to an attractive, familyfriendly working hours model, you will also benefit from advantages such as the use of the dining halls of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen, as well as participation in the various attractive sports offerings of the University Sports Center.
The university stands in the fields of technology, mathematics and natural sciences, business and media for teaching and research at the highest level. She attaches particular importance to innovative teaching and interdisciplinarity. She identifies with Humboldt's ideals and pursues the vision of a cosmopolitan campus family.
Technische Universität Ilmenau is holder of the „TOTAL E-Quality“ distinction and emphasizes gender equality.
Severely disabled applicants with essentially identical professional suitability will be preferentially selected.
Technische Universität Ilmenau offers flexible working time models.