in our joint research project CO-HUMANICS funded by the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung. The position is particularly suitable for applicants who would also like to gain further academic qualifications in the context of a doctorate/Ph.D.
CO-HUMANICS aims to create a collaborative Augmented Reality environment enabling co-presence for visiting and assisting seniors in their home. Project goals include the creation of lifelike virtual representations of remote participants as well as a seamless and interactive integration of those virtual visitors into the local environment.
We are looking for a colleague to work on the creation and realization of believable avatars. You will enable users to easily create their personal, lifelike avatars that can seamlessly integrate into the remote environment and interact with other remote and local users.
- Plan and conduct research as part of the project under the direction of the Principal Investigator, demonstrating a high degree of independence and personal responsibility
- Collaboration with other team members from our group as well as those from other project partners, including sharing and integrating developments
- Produce high quality publications of national/international standing and present research findings at relevant conferences
- Report regularly on the progress of the research project during team meetings and project assemblies
- Continuously monitoring relevant publications and the advancement of the state of the art, incorporating new methods and approaches into your own solutions
- Implementation and evaluation of reference algorithms for avatar generation, integration and animation
- Realization of methods for seamless integration of user avatars and their behavior in remote environments
The position is limited to the end of the project (May 2026). A further employment is possible upon funding available and with appropriate prospect.
- Very good knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken
- Ability to present work results independently
- High level of communication and teamwork skills
Essential practical skills
- Solid programming skills (with Python and C# or similar)
- Fundamental knowledge of Unity (or other 3D game engines)
- Experience in Deep Learning (preferably with pytorch and/or tensorflow)
- Basic knowledge of using augmented reality head-mounted displays (e.g., Microsoft HoloLens2)
Further desirable skills
- Experience with the generation of avatars for AR/VR using Deep Learning
- Expertise with the implementation of real-time augmented reality applications
- In-depth knowledge in the field of augmented reality
- Basic knowledge of different neural networks architectures
- • Very good, completed degree (M.Sc./Diploma (Univ.)) in computer science, media informatics, computational visu-alistics, visual computing, or a comparable subject
Your application must contain at least the following documents
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Master's certificate (or provisional certificate)
- Transcript of Records (overview of studies incl. grades)
What we offer you:
You can expect a positive working environment at a renowned university. This includes a personal and individual supervision of your doctoral project with regular biannual colloquia and the opportunity to publish your own findings nationally and internationally at relevant professional conferences and to present your work in person. In addition, we offer a wide range of internal university educational opportunities as well as a variety of health and recreational offerings. In addition to an attractive, flexible, and family-friendly working hours scheme, you will also benefit from advantages such as the use of the dining halls of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen, as well as the possibility to participate in the various attractive sports offerings of the University Sports Center.
The university stands in the fields of technology, mathematics and natural sciences, business and media for teaching and research at the highest level. She attaches particular importance to innovative teaching and interdisciplinarity. She identifies with Humboldt's ideals and pursues the vision of a cosmopolitan campus family.
Technische Universität Ilmenau is holder of the „TOTAL E-Quality“ distinction and emphasizes gender equality.
Severely disabled applicants with essentially identical professional suitability will be preferentially selected.
Technische Universität Ilmenau offers flexible working time models.